Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dead

So they say the world will end at exactly 6 am today.

beautiful world.....at our backyard

It’s 3:20 am and I am wide awake. No, I’m not waiting for the end of the world to come. I’m downloading review materials for the exams I’ll be taking this year. While others MIGHT be preparing to meet their Creator, I am preparing to meet my future, trying to make sense of mathematical equations and jumbling ideas in my head.

The news yesterday featured some groups of people trying to tell the whole world to repent from their sins because thy kingdom will come. Soon. Very soon. As I sat in front of the TV, I began to wonder the propensity of such statements.

Much has been said about the end of the world. With all the calamities that take place these days, one cannot help but think, indeed, this woman called Earth will check in and throw the towel anytime soon. I imagine the world going dark, the sun turns into blood red as the skies swirl with black clouds spewing acid rain. The land beneath our feet trembles in great despair as the earth shakes unceasingly sending chills of terror down our spine. Lo and behold, those people called sinners swim at the fires of hell while gnashing their teeth endlessly.

Okay, enough. I think I have been watching too much movies lately.

But seriously, I don’t like it when things go nasty like people resigning from their jobs or like getting heart attacks because of the “impending danger” ahead. Fact is, nobody really knows when the world will end. Only God knows. Period.

I am not saying here that we should all go and just let loose. No, we should enjoy life but be responsible enough to take good care of this world. Hug and plant more trees. Yes, I do that. Why not? I love hugging trees. Literally in fact. After all, I’ve heard somewhere that there are two ways to leave a legacy in this world, bear a child or plant a tree. I have succeeded. I have planted more trees than I could ever count with my toes and fingers.

That’s legacy.

But on the other hand, it would be nice to think that every day is our last day on earth. Maybe then we could begin to thank the stars and the force behind everything for all the blessings we’ve received. Maybe then we will all begin to appreciate the good things we’ve had in this lifetime. Maybe then we’ll begin to reflect on the good, the bad and the ugly. It’s your choice.

So where was I? Ah yes, how to take care of Mother Earth. Throw our garbage properly. That’s another thing. I love it when I ride jeepneys and I see trashcans inside. It means people who are on their right mind would be ecstatic to dispose their garbage properly. Of course, those who throw their garbage aimlessly are bound to receive mountains of trash when flood during the rainy season sets in. Remember those lines at the TV ads before?


Ang basurang itinapon mo ay babalik din saýo.

It will be sweet revenge.

If there’s one thing I am so sure of. The world will end only if, yes, we all stop living, be lazy, and saunter like aimless ducks having a Sunday walk under the sun. We start to run amok and kill every single soul we meet at the slightest sign of aggression. That would be sure sign that humanity will go extinct.

Then we can all say with such fervor, adios patria adorada!!!

No comments:

People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There