Sunday, May 08, 2011

Boxing, Manny Pacquiao and Philippine Politics

Today, the streets in the Philippines are almost deserted.

The entire nation is on stand still. Pacman’s fight over Sugar Shane Mosley brings his countrymen to their TV screens as it is with his previous bouts in his boxing career. Pacman remains to be the best among the Filipino boxers throughout the country’s history so far.

I would have to confess that it's difficult not to like him. After all, he's one of our own kind. And even if Floyd Mayweather Jr. calls him “midget” and a “faggot”, fact is, the man brings honor to his nation. If there is one thing that I looked forward to, it would be the fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao.

If we want results, then let’s stop talking and start fighting.

Pacquiao vs Mosley

I don’t know just as when I’ve started to like boxing. Maybe because when I was growing up, I’ve been the only one in our family who watched boxing fights at the TV with my father. It comes as no surprise then that I also love wrestling. Do I sound barbaric? No, I’m not a violent person. I can’t put two and two together but I like pugilist sports as much as I love writing and cooking.

And I really have to say this. I admire and respect Manny Pacquiao as a Filipino and a boxer. But for goodness sake, he should leave politics behind!

I’m okay with Manny wanting to sing and all. I’m even okay with him doing the movies. But politics? I don’t understand why he should run for congress and yes, eventually wins it. I just don’t get the logic behind it. Inside the ring, he’s the king. Outside it, he’s a pawn. My respect starts and ends with his boxing skills. Politics in this country is such a dirty game that Manny Pacquiao should have been wise enough to stay away from wolves and hyenas.

They will eat him alive.

However, despite my misgivings about his political aspirations, I should give the man a thumbs up. He is willing to learn the ropes as he enrolled himself at the Development Academy of the Philippines under the certificate course on Development Legislation and Governance. It's a 10 day course that would at least give him an idea of what lies ahead. It's not enough but it's a start.

I don't know how he will fare in Phil. politics but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope the wolves and hyenas won't get him.

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

No comments:

People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There