Thursday, July 19, 2007

Habagat, Bulan, Amihan: What’s in A Name?


Amihan. Habagat. I don’t know why I like these names so much. Maybe because I am a historian and an artist by heart. Or maybe because I am truly proud to be a Filipino. Before, I told my friends that someday I would name my daughter Merry Ligaya Joy. And her nickname would be “Happy”. I tend to view life with that positive outlook. We only live once, so we better make the most out of it. Isn’t it cute? MERRY LIGAYA JOY. I bet she will never get the feeling that I have forsaken her. Okay. Don’t give me that look. I am joking.

What’s in a name? A lot, I guess. Kidlat. Daguob. Makisig. Amihan. Habagat. Nobody would say it’s of western influence. My name is undeniably of Western origin. Until now, I never get to ask my parents about this. There are a lot of women in this world named Joyce. Not to mention that my name is too long. Maybe when I was in Grade I, I must have missed the first questions in my exams because I have to write my complete name. Once, while surfing the net, I come across an article about a woman who was a victim of a heinous crime. Exactly. You’re right. Quite different but the spellings are exactly the same. Heaven forbids.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not writing this because I am not satisfied with my name. My parents gave it to me with good intentions. Otherwise they could have given me the name, “Kutimoy” because I am a premature baby. However, there are times when I wished that some of us should think twice before we christen our children with names that sounded like a curse from nowhere.

I wanted something that is unique. Something different. Something exotic. Not ordinary. So I wrack my brain for a good one. That’s how it all started. Amihan and Habagat were born while listening to the radio about the weather one evening. Amihan for a daughter and Habagat for a son. Bagani. Bagwis. Magayon. Lin-ay. Bulan. Bituin. Bulak. The list goes on and on. And why not? I have always been proud to be a Filipino. I wear it like a crown. In fact, I wear it like no other.

I wanted my children to learn the tales of Mariang Makiling, Pedro Penduko and the likes. Before they read Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys or Jane Austen, they must learn to appreciate Ibong Adarna, Florante at Laura, Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. They must learn to hum and eventually sing the songs of the EDSA Revolution. Explore Philippines and Asia before they decide to take a vacation somewhere in Europe or the United States.
Serve their country. Enjoy and appreciate their own culture.

A friend laughed when I told her about this. I know there is nothing funny about the names. As a historian, I truly believe that giving such a Filipino sounding name is the way to go. I advocate it. There is nothing wrong with it. In the future, if I name my son Kidlat and my daughter Ma-anyag, so what? Being agile and beautiful are wonderful qualities. But just don’t overdo it. A friend of mine suggested names such as Talahib, Kulunaknit, Pagong, Palito, Tabatsoy, Budyawi and Bangenge. You don’t want your children to curse you, don’t you? Fine. They sound truly Filipino. However, envision your children’s future 10 to 15 years from now. They will be the butt of jokes somehow among their classmates. And certainly you don’t want your children to live up to such names.

Don’t name them Mamon, Kapog or Monay simply because you love to eat these foods. Or much worst name your child Pancit, Hototay or Batchoy because it smells and sounds so good. Maybe I am exaggerating. But I am truly honest when I tell you that I know somebody named as “Kapog”. The poor girl has to live with the name for the rest of her life.

I must also admit. I have my own secret to reveal. No. I was not named as Soup Number Five or Dinuguan, some of my parents’ favorite foods. Rather I was given the nickname of “Agok”. I am a sickly child before. I suffered from bouts of asthma attacks. Until now, sometimes I still do. Sisigok-sigok. That was how it all started. In the end, “Agok” was born. It might sound cute for someone who doesn’t have a single idea about it. But I’m telling you. Don’t you dare call me by that name. I am kind to animals. But in times like these, well, I think it pays to know a little about karate. Now here’s the tricky part. What if your partner doesn’t agree with you? Simple. Merry Ligaya Joy or Amihan? Choose the latter. Take it or leave it.

So, what’s in a name? A lot. Choose carefully. Think not just once. Not twice. But a number of times before you decide. The stakes are high. Eventually you’ll learn that your children will be thankful that you have chosen the right names for them.

No comments:

People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There