Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tubungan

Spent Christmas at the hospital again. I miss writing! I miss my magnifying glass and gloves. And yes, I miss research work. But I'm back. With a vengeance, in fact. I'm back to Tubungan. They wanted a coffee table book but I told them it is much better if they start first with the research and writing of their town's history.
After that, a coffee table book is a breeze.
During the meeting with Mayor Gargaritano Jr. and the town's historical committee, I suggested to them that we should provide and include a research and documentation on the presence of indigenous communities in Tubungan. It's like hitting two birds with one stone. The IPs can make use of the documentations if they intend to file their ancestral domain claim someday. This is relevant as I am also trying to take a grasp on the cultural governance of IPs in Panay. Took some pics for the day.
The first time I set my eyes on this, I knew I'm going to love the place.
I love old churches.
I hired a Research Assistant plus two documentors for field work and research. The town covers forty eight barangays and I want to at least get a feel of the communities. I love their town. The people are nice plus there are a lot falls in the area, mountains to climb and wonderful sights to experience. I love getting close to nature. I believe that there is something about the wilderness that attracts me.
.
According to the locals, this Calachuchi is 100 years old. (Will verify)
Ascending
I was particularly excited when I read some of the historical accounts during the Japanese occupation. Tubungan figured well in the local history of Iloilo particularly during the Spanish period and Japanese occupation. However,it's the same problem I encounter whenever local history is concerned. There is a need for proper documentation and research. And there is a wealth of information out there.
..................THE HISTORIC CHURCH OF TUBUNGAN.....
During the Spanish occupation, babaylans (shamans) coming from different places would gather in one of the mountains of Tubungan. This event occurs only once in seven years when they would come together for a communal offering where they are joined by more than a thousand people. This meeting of babaylans coincides with the Holy Week. On the first week of Feb., I'm off to the mountains to do some documentation of the place. I have interviewed some indigenous people (Bukidnon) living in the area and I found out some interesting things. Along with Nanay Agnes from NCIP, we met two Bukidnon tribal leaders last week and I'm all set to go to the IP communities this Feb. I may need to talk with Dr. Magos and Sir Catolin for some clarifications on the case of IPs in Tubungan.
.......IT'S PEACEFUL AROUND HERE.... ( To which I was always told and have read that one of the municipality's problem is insurgency...)
It's good I don't need to go through so much with professional photography anymore because they have available photographs taken for tourism purposes. I can make use of them I was told. So that settles it.I now reckon I also need to seriously invest in a good camera and take photography lessons and be a professional at it. I have my camera but it's only for documentation purposes. I'm more into research and writing than photography. I realized I can save a lot of money and energy if I do the writing and photography myself. But for now, it's just a thought. Haha. Though, I still think I need to hire a professional to take some of the pictures I needed for the research. Will look into that again maybe by Feb.
Tibud (It's quite hard to find this nowadays. It's being used to ferment vinegar the traditional way.)
I am excited as each day brings more heartwarming discoveries for me. It's an honor to bring light to a town's history and make the people proud of their heritage and culture.
The first food I ate on my first day of historical research @Tubungan.
Dinner after a long day at the field. (I'm not complaining though. I love this work.)

No comments:

People Who Are Violent to Animals ... Rarely Stop There